Pages

Sunday 27 November 2011

Shabby Chic Rocking Chair

The rocking chair has been hand painted in a shabby chic style to create an aged look. Crafted from wood, the rocking chair is a good solid piece of furniture ideal for the home.
The old rocking chair was originally varnished and the joints were loose, ideal piece of furniture to "shabby chic". I have re glued all the joints, removed the old varnish and sanded the rocking chair.
 Then I applied two coats of undercoat paint, sanding between each coat ready for the top coat. The other week I discovered a great paint, ideal for painting furniture in a shabby chic style.
 
Its very similar to Farrow & Ball, I could not tell the difference myself and the finish looks wonderful. The colour I chose for the rocking chair was Slaked Lime, almost white and the finish was exactly what I was trying to achieve.
Once I had applied 3 coats, sanding off in between each coat of paint, the next stage was to finish with a decent wax polish. For this I used the best, Liberon clear wax which is a great product and used fine wire wool to apply.
 
The result is very pleasing on the eye, the wax has toned down the white and left a warm patina. All the shabby chic rocking chair needs now is a good cushion and there is so much choice, was almost tempted to make one myself, maybe next time!
The shabby chic rocking chair measures 40" inches high, 22" at its widest and rockers measure 29 1/2" inches. The seat measures 19 1/2" inches at its widest along the front and is 14 1/2" inches deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment